Monday, March 3, 2014

Peanut allergy in children improved by oral immunotherapy

A new study proves that 84-91% of children, after 6 months of OIT, could tolerate taking 800 mf of peanut protein on a daily basis. “This treatment allowed children with all severities of peanut allergy to eat large quantities of peanuts, well above the levels found in contaminated snacks and meals, freeing them and their parents from the fear of a potentially life threatening allergic reaction. The families involved in this study say that it has changed their lives dramatically”, explains study leader Dr Andrew Clark from Cambridge University Hospitals (which includes Addenbrooke's and the Rosie Hospitals) in the UK. Life-threatening and severe allergic reactions to food are associated with peanut allergy. The only available treatment for peanut allergy in children is to avoid foods which contain peanuts. However, accidents still happen. Small children can accidentally consume peanuts-contain foods. 62% of the children who were involved in the study tolerated peanuts, after a treatment of 6 months with OIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment